Sunday, January 10, 2010

Homage to Norval Morrisseau (Part V)

-
by James A. Simon MISHIBINIJIMA
-
/The following text and image used with permission of the artist/
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

--
-
"Legacy of Norval Morrisseau", acrylic on canvas, 30"x24",
© 2010 James A. Simon MISHIBINIJIMA /Click on image to Enlarge/
-
-
Legacy: Elders use to talk about the Great Fire of Manitoulin and its "hidden cultural secrets" that were placed inside a cave on Manitoulin Island during the 1600's and said, "a child will find these secrets when the time is right."
-
This is the image I've seen while I was talking to this gentleman about "Mishibinijima painting the Legacy of the Late Norval Morrisseau." You painted the image of "Pope John Paul II" and just wondering if you would paint the Morrisseau Legacy?

-
As I let this gentleman talk about this idea, image of a Sacred Cave filled my mind and felt very important to walk into my studio as I let my Sacred Smudging bowl.

-
As I sat in my studio, a vision of a Buffalo entered my mind as it slowly turn bright as snow and knew this was a very important moment.

-
I decided to add a little colour as the canvas came to life and started to see a clear vision on what I needed to do to complete the "Legacy of Norval Morrisseau."

-
I always felt that Norval Morrissea played a giant part of bringing this sacred art into the open while teaching the children around him "answers to the future if you want them." All you have to do is just listen to yourself, only you know what you want.

-
I think parts of the Scared Cave released some of it's secrets because we all see them through color painted by Native Artist of North America, again, all you have to do is look, see and listen to yourself if you want Mother Earth.

-
The Scared Buffalo symbolizes the next generation and the tree seedling thats tied down represent "safe passage" we call "WAUM TUG ZEE" in our Native language, these ancient trees still grow along the shores of the great lakes and most were chop down because of cosmetic reasons to the property owners. But I formed the Wam Tug Zee into a Copper Thunderbird, Norval's Nishinabe name.

-
I myself played in that next generation and probably have a good ten to fifteen years left and the Great Spirit willing. Morrisseau began with a seed that flourished into this tree of colour where everything's revealed and known, the Secret to harmony with Mother Earth is painted by this new generation every day and there's no stopping now, it's breathing on its own.
--
© James A. Simon MISHIBINIJIMA
-
-
Source: M I S H I B I N I J I M A - International Contemporary Artist
-


-

>>> Reference posts:
-
- -
* The painting in this post: "Legacy of Norval Morrisseau" , Acrylic on Canvas, 30"x24", © 2010 James A. Simon MISHIBINIJIMA
~ Currently auctioned at mahdezewin.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Spirit Walker said...

>>>
The following comment was published on Mishibinijima's blog referring to the painting titled "Legacy of Norval Morrisseau":

"Chi Miigwetch Mishibinijima for honouring Norval Morrisseau in outmost respectful way.

Your art will continue to inspire future generations of the Anishinaabe/Woodland School of Art Movement followers...

"Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid."
("You cannot destroy one who has dreamed a dream like mine.")
* Anishinaabe proverb

Ugo Matulic a.k.a. Spirit Walker
~ norvalmorrisseau.blogspot.com"

>SW<