Wednesday, July 13, 2011

>>> Open Letter to the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG by Mr. David Barnes of Brampton, Ontario

 
REVISED on March 15, 2013
-






















"The Great Creator", 23"x96", © 1976 Norval Morrisseau,
* Exhibited at Mr. David Barnes' home, Brampton, Ontario CANADA
PROVENANCE: Randy Potter Estate Auctions, Port Hope, ONTARIO
AUTHENTICATION/APPRAISAL: Mr. Galal Helmy, Jasper ALBERTA
/Click on image to Enlarge/

~ Click HERE, HERE & HERE to see detailed images of the front of artwork - a title and artist's signatures in Cree syllabics and English 


"2011, Norval Morresseau Remembered"


"Dear Spirit Walker,

I have been watching from the sidelines for years, But now I think its time to say a few things.

I have travelled this land from coast to coast every year for almost 10 years now. I've stopped in a hundred stores that have said "Native Art" on their signs and have been thoroughly discussed with 99% of them.

But I've found a few gems and... well let's just say I've become very good friend with the gallery owners.

I have never missed the Toronto Pow-Wow in 10 years. I sat as the Captain of the hunt for the MNO for 10 years.

I am a Registered Interior Designer who graduating in 2000 with honours and a FIDER accreditation. I am registered with A.R.I.D.O. and N.C.I.D.Q.

My Grandmother was born in Tiny township in Ontario. I am of Ojibway Heritage.

Over the years I've been lucky enough to become a collector, not just a lover of Native art, with a very large and diverse portfolio.

There are certain artists I am drawn to, in order of importance they are:

1) Norval Morrisseau ( I have been in galleries were I've have seen his art "shake"... its quite an experience),

2) Travis and Arthur Shilling (music for the eyes),

3) David Beaucage Johnson ( I am in awe of his "Continuum line" work) &

4) Leland Bell (Every coloured dot has a meaning!).

I am deeply concerned, there seems to be a war going on with Norval Morrisseau's hierarchy, and to say the least... Auction houses are refusing to hold his art, everyone has become suspicious of whether or not they have a "fake" or an "authentic" Norval Morrisseau's artwork!

What are we doing doing to ourselves?

This is sad, what are we doing to the legacy of this great artist! Have we forgotten how important he is for Canada and what he gave to this World?

I have an 8ft long painting by Norval Morrisseau titled "The Great Creator" over my couch. No matter how many times I move, it always finds its place in the centre of my living space. Wow, that's something for an interior designer to say! It takes a GREAT work of art to ground itself into one's living space. For me this great art is Norval Morrisseau's!

Norval Morresseau WAS the greatest artist that EVER came out of Canada, possibly the greatest COLOURIST in the world and one of the strongest souls the creator ever allowed to enter a body!

This year, let's try to turn our energy into promoting this Great artist of the world."

David Barnes, Brampton, Ontario
Shiwaconsee





IMPORTANT NOTE:

Click HERE To see the authentication/appraisal for this genuine Norval Morrisseau painting by Mr. Galal Helmy of Jasper, Alberta.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Click HERE to see another authentic Norval Morrisseau painting from a private collection of Mr. David Barnes which he acquired directly from Mr. Galal Helmy at Maligne Canyon Restaurant (EA Studios) - Jasper, Alberta and it is currently available for purchase (as of March 15th, 2013). 


>>> Reference posts:
- Norval Morrisseau a.k.a. Copper Thunderbird,
- Visionary Landscapes /David Beaucage Johnson/,   
- Great Anishinaabe/Woodland Artists (Part VII) /Arthur Shilling/ &
- Great Anishinaabe/Woodland Artists (Part XVII) /Leland Bell/.
-

No comments: