Saturday, April 5, 2008

Copper Thunderbird Tribute

by Robert Snache
-
-
-
-
- -
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Copper Thunderbird Tribute, © Robert Snache
-
I recall when First Nation students in Orillia schools were given the option to attend Native studies classes. These classes usually happened once a week in a separate space were we could learn about our culture. It was the beginning for me to relearn about who I was an Ojibwe, an Anishnabe.
-
The recent history of our people and Native brothers across North America is well known and documented. It is a sad and tragic history that we are only beginning to turn around.
-
In those early Native Study classes I was introduced to the fascinating art of Norval Morrisseau. I saw a lot of humour, stories and spirituality in his work and could only admire what I saw. Reading about his work was inspiring and made me want to seek out more about where the images and art work came from. My logo was created from my trips to the Petroglyphs near Peterborough which is not unlike how Norval Morrisseau interpreted the ancient birch bark scrolls and Pictographs.
-
Today the first Artist I ever remember attempting to copy and draw passed away. His contributions to the Native Collective consciousness will never be forgotten. I for one will always be grateful for his artwork leading the way to my lost history.
-
Robert Snache - Spirithands.net
Posted at http://blog.spirithands.net/ on December 5th, 2007
-

No comments: