Friday, July 11, 2008

Poetry of my people The Great Ojibway (Part I)

- -
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

"Great Journey", © Norval Morrisseau -
-
-
Anishinaabekwe, the Daughters,
You are the keepers of the water.
-
I am Nibi... water.. the sacred source,
the blood of Aki, Mother Earth,
the force filling dry seeds to great bursting.
-
I am the wombs cradle.
I purify.
-
Nibi, the lifegiver, forever the Circle's charge
I have coursed through our Mother's veins.
-
Now hear my sorrow and my pain
in the river's rush, the rain.
-
I am your grandchildren's drink.
Listen, Daughters, always.
-
You are the keepers of the water.
Hear my cry, for the springs flow darkly now
through the heart of Aki.
-
Unknown
-
-
* The painting in this posting: "Great Journey", 22"x42", © 1976 Norval Morrisseau /Private Collection/

No comments: