Sunday, November 9, 2008

Collectors' Corner IX

-
- 1960's PERIOD
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
"Frog Spirit", © 1960s Norval Morrisseau /Frog - a Symbol of Fertility/
/Click on image to Enlarge/
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
/An inscription on the reverse side of the painting/
-
-
Hi Spirit Walker,
-
I spent 14 years in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1974 to 1988 and during that time collected some minor works Goyce Kakegamic and others. Most were purchased from the Wah-sa Gallery. In the middle to late 70's there was another Indian art "store" selling not only framed works but some unframed originals and prints. The name of the store escapes me after all these years, but during one sortie into the store, I found an unframed original painting on a circular piece of paper depicting a what seems to be a frog on a lilly pad with two flies (perhaps) on its back. The Indian signature on the front appears to be that of Norval Morrisseau. The only writing on the back is what I assume is the name of the painting, "Frog Spirit". At the time the owner of the store told me that it was an original Morrisseau and was the only one ever done on a circular piece of paper. I never thought much about it but liked it and bought it regardless. I will be happy to send you a photograph of it if it is of interest to you. There is no signature on the back and I realise there is a high probability that it is not by Norval but I am interested to hear from someone who knows. I can take a good quality color photo and send it by snail mail or I can email same to you. It is currently being reframed and rematted. If this is of no interest to you, as it would in all probability be one of thousands of non-Morrisseau's, I will quite understand.
-
Thank you for entertaining my enquiry.

-
Anonymous Collector
-
-
"Let's share Norval Morrisseau's images with the World."
spiritwalker2008@gmail.com
-
-
* Blog Master is thanking a collector for the submission of an authentic image of an original painting by Norval Morrisseau with respects to the owner and his or her decision to remain anonymous: "Frog Spirit", approx. 19" DIA, © c. late 1960s Norval Morrisseau

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spirit Walker,

I would like to comment on the painting that you posted. The painting of the frog is a genuine Morrisseau. I am safe to say that because I have a similar one like it as well, but on a piece of birchbark.
I would be happy to show it on here if you are interested.
My best wishes
Jay

Spirit Walker said...

Hi Jay,

Yes, the readers of the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG and myself would like if you send me image of the painting you have for posting it herein.

Megwetch, SW

P.S. I appreciate your comment very much.