Friday, December 26, 2008

>>> www.NorvalMorrisseauLegalDefenceFund.com (Part V)

-
- Exhibit "B"
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
"I don't wish my work to be exploited, but to be properly used as an art form in its proper place where for the generations of the great Ojibway people it can be seen in the future, as well as be appreciated by all our white brothers." Norval Morrisseau, September 1962
--
-
~ The following has been trasferred from the above stated web site ~

There are and have been many misrepresentations by people with respect to the works of Norval Morrisseau. I direct the reader to Exhibit "A" which is an article in National Post of May 18th, 2001. In the second paragraph Mr. Don Robinson (of Kinsman Robinson Galleries*) states that he was suspicious of the authenticity of 23 paintings which were brought to him by another collector who purchased them at Kahn Auctions. The following is a statement from that collector:
-
I DO SOLEMNLY DECLARE THAT
-
1. I have purchased numerous Norval Morrisseau paintings from Kahn Auctions and other sources in the past.
-
2. I observed Mr. Donald Robinson of Kinsman Robinson Galleries* in attendance at the same auctions as myself on several occasions during that time frame.
-
3. I have seen Kahn Auctions documentation that Kinsman Robinson Galleries purchased approximately 28 paintings from Kahn Auctions.
-
4. I took 23 of my Norval Morrisseau paintings that I purchased from Kahn Auctions to Kinsman Robinson Galleries to be appraised for insurance purposes.
-

5. After reviewing my 23 paintings, Mr. Donald Robinson complimented my choices and advised me to be well-insured.
-
6. After one week with the paintings, Mr. Donald Robinson told me that it would take one more week to complete the appraisals.
-
7. At no time did Mr. Donald Robinson give me any indication that there was a problem with the appraisals or the authenticity of my paintings.

-
8. After two weeks with the paintings, Mr. Donald Robinson called me to say that all of the 23 paintings were allegedly fake and could not be appraised.

-
9. When questioned by me, Mr. Donald Robinson indicated that he did not assess the authenticity of my paintings himself but rather provided Norval Morrisseau with pictures of the paintings and two boxes marked YES and NO. I was told by Mr. Donald Robinson that Norval Morrisseau allegedly marked the NO boxes beside each of my paintings. Despite my numerous requests, Mr. Donald Robinson has refused to provide a copy of this documentation from Norval Morrisseau to me or my lawyer.

-
10. At no time did Mr. Robinson say that he was consulting Norval Morrisseau as to the authenticity of the paintings, indicate his concerns or request my approval to seek third party asssistance.
-
11. Mr. Donald Robinson also indicated that one of my paintings would appear in an article the following day that would indicate that many of Norval Morrisseau paintings were not authentic. The "Morrisseau Fakes Alleged" article was in the National Post newspaper on May 18, 2001.
-
AND I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath and by virtue of the Canada Evidence Act.
-
DATED this 9th day of March, 2005
-
Signed
/A Collector/
-
-
Blog Master's comment:
-
"The reason behind these controversies which are shaking Norval Morrisseau's Art World is due to the fact that individuals and galleries that were closely associated with the artist have been spreading false statements that paintings of a certain style were not done by Norval Morrisseau's hand. Particularily those paintings from the 1970's presented on this blog and that have been offered for sale for more than three decades in galleries all across Canada. I could understand that they are trying "to harness" the secondary market; but discrediting a large body of work by Norval Morrisseau shows great disrespect to the artist and their actions cannot be tolerated. In my opinion they are harming the Norval Morrisseau art market and consequently his legacy."
-
-
Source: www.norvalmorrisseaulegaldefencefund.com
----------/Additional Information - "PDF" Document No. 4/

---------See also: www.NorvalMorrisseauLawsuit.com
-
>>>>>>> I also encourage people not to contact the subjects in the case even though people could have gained access to these documents via the courts as these are public documents. Spirit Walker
-
--

* Donald Robinson /one of the founders of the Kinsman Robinson Galleries: Principal Morrisseau dealer - Representing Norval Morrisseau (1932-2007) and his artwork over the last nineteen years./
-
-
Important Note: For better understanding of the material presented herein please visit the following: www.NorvalMorrisseauLegalDefenceFund.com (Part I)-
-
--

- Still image of Norval Morrisseau in this posting from "The Paradox of Norval Morrisseau" - film by NFB © 1974

No comments: