Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Honouring Moses (Potan) Nanakonagos

-
~ Reference for Morrisseau's collectors and investigators
-


-













Moses (Potan) Nanakonagos
/Norval Morrisseau's maternal grandfather/


"It is only his name I want to mention (when asked by Selwyn Dewdney* to fill a genealogy form), so that in one way or the other his good heart, his good teachings shall be repayed. Of my actual father I saw little... I knew he was not my father but I began to love and respect him more and more as I advanced in years, as this was all a part of me and I must carry on his wisdom."-

Norval Morrisseau
-
- -
-
-

* Selwyn Dewdney - Art aducator and noted expert on Ojibway art and anthropology. Edited Norval Morrisseau's book "Legends of My People, The Great Ojibway" /Toronto, Ryerson Press, 1965/

A still image of Moses (Potan) Nanakonagos © CBC
-

No comments: